2.10.2009

2 more months...

Well, I had been anticipating this day almost as much as Kaleb's 3rd birthday. Today was D-day, and it didn't turn out quite as I had hoped.

Kason has been on his SIDS monitor since he was 7 weeks old. When he caught RSV and was in the hospital he had a 'blue spell' which scared me to death and I was sleeping maybe 30-45 minutes a night because I was watching him sleep all night. At his appointment the day after he was released from the hospital his pediatrician {which is one of the top pedis and has his own SIDS research facility, books... everything} didn't like the blue spell and apnea spells that I had been reporting so he was placed on the monitor.

He was on it for 2 weeks by the time the machine said 'memory full' so my hopes were a little squashed, but I stayed optimistic.

Today was the day where we take the machine in and have the data downloaded. The nurse that downloaded the data wasn't the actual person who reads it, but told me that it 'didn't look too promising' {getting the machine off}. She said that he will have to go at least another 2 months on the machine without any alarms... if there is an alarm the 2 months starts over.

The doctor who reads the downloads is looking at his data as we speak and I should be getting a call soon, but things don't look to promising. She said he may have to have a trip to the cardiologist to make sure things are going okay...

Cardiologist. That's a scary word to think about when you're a person, much less a 11 week old infant.

It's hard to imagine, really. Kaleb was completely healthy except for his ear infections. Never had a runny nose, cough or the nasty congestion that his brother has had for weeks now.

Needless to say I'm on pins and needles and I will be until I get a phone call.

1 comment:

  1. So what was the news? Got your blog off babycenter.com. My LO is also on the cardio-respiratory monitor, but for apnea of prematurity. We're hoping it will be coming off in the next couple of weeks. She just came off oxygen a week or so ago. I actually recognized the strap across the chest in photo uno lol. We had the sticky leads but they were awful so we switched to the strap too. Now that she's a lot bigger, we are having less false alarms and loose leads.

    ReplyDelete